The Gleddings Preparatory School - Where learning and caring go Hand in Hand
About the Gleddings
- History of Our Building
- ISI Reports
- KS2 SATS Results Tables
- Around Our School
- School Uniform
- School Council
- The Gleddings Staff
- Out of Hours Care
- School Holiday Dates

Teaching and Learning
- Nursery Provision
- Curriculum Information
- Monitoring Progress
- Class Pages
- Extra Curricular Activities
- Community Links
- School Policies

Up-To-The-Minute
Visit our School's Blog for all the latest news and to see the children's work

- A Woodland Christmas Poem
- Christmas Carol Concert
- Carol Singing at Ing Royde
- Eureka!
- Lower School Nativity
Independent Preparatory School of the Year

    Independent Association of Preparatory Schools

Committed To ICT

Ecole Sacre-Coeur in Meyzieu

The Gleddings Preparatory School is consistently rated in the top few Independent Preparatory Schools based on the results of the SATS (Standard Attainment Tests for 11 years olds). It is the highest ranked Preparatory School in Yorkshire.

The Gleddings Preparatory School What Our Parents Say

"Every time we visit the school a loving atmosphere surrounds us and our children." - Mr Zaman

Story of our building

In 1871, Henry Alexander Norris had a house built on Birdcage Lane. He called the house ROCKCLIFFE. This house was later to have its name changed to THE GLEDDINGS.

In the Census of 1871, it was recorded that Henry Norris, a manufacturing chemist aged 44 years and his wife Jane aged 35, lived in the house with their four children and four live in servants.

Henry Norris and his family lived in the house for 20 years after it was built. He sold it to John William Smithies in 1891.

He was a worsted spinner. He and his wife and three children and their four servants remained at Rockcliffe until 1912.

In 1913 George Henry (Fisher) - Smith bought the house and renamed it THE GLEDDINGS after a house he had previously lived in.

In the same year he was knighted and took his wife's surname Fisher to be known as Sir George Henry Fisher-Smith. Sir George died in 1931 but his family carried on living in the house until Lady Fisher-Smith died in 1938.

During the war years it is reported that the Civil Defence used the grounds as a base for training.

In 1949 the Crossley Charitable trust used the house for dormitories for girl pupils calling it "Crossley House". Boys boarded at Standeven House now the home of The Old Crossleyans Rugby Club.

In 1961 the house was leased to Miss Edith Oakley who moved her Preparatory School from Savile Park to The Gleddings where it could become a larger and more progressive school! It has kept this use to this day.

2011 saw the school celebrate its 50th Anniversary.

  The Gleddings Preparatory School - Birdcage Lane - Savile Park - Halifax - HX3 0JB
  Tel: 01422 354 605 - Fax: 01422 356 263 - email: thegleddings@aol.com
  Copyright © The Gleddings - Website Design Stone Square