To celebrate the tenth anniversary of our links with the Manchester Confucius Institute we had our Wow! China Day on Wednesday, 27th June. The children had a unique opportunity to open their eyes to a completely different culture.
We were joined by friendly tutors from the Manchester Confucius Institute; award winning story teller, Ursula Holden Gill; and Chinese martial arts expert, Master Chen from Jin Long Culture and Performing Arts, Manchester.
Activities for the children included:
· Tai Chi (More commonly known as Tàijí in China)
· Traditional paper-folding
· Chinese folk dance
· Music workshop with the fascinating Chinese zither, Gŭzhēng and singing
· Traditional Chinese children‘s games
· Beat and Rhythm workshop
· Trial workshop of Kung Fu (known as Wŭshù in Mandarin Chinese) and demonstration
· Children’s Dragon Dance display
A scrumptious Chinese lunch of prawn crackers, braised chicken/quorn with soft noodles, stir-fry vegetables, lucky red jelly and mandarin oranges was prepared by our ever so efficient and wonderful Chef Lizzie and her Kitchen Team. We also had delicious Fortune Cookies and Shāqímă (Chinese Rice Krispies) as break-time snacks.
The end of the fun-filled day was celebrated with a captivating Lion Dance from Jin Long Chinese Martial Arts Academy. The parents were just as excited as the children to meet the Chinese Lion!